Want to know how to make the most of your experience at the AFS Annual Meeting in Baltimore?
Below are some helpful hints for how to do so:
- Review the COVID-19 vaccination requirements before arriving and make sure you have appropriate proof of vaccination status (see https://afsannualmeeting.fisheries.org/covid-guidance/ for details).
- Consider becoming a student member of AFS before registering to attend the Annual Meeting. Members get a discount on meeting registration. In addition, being a member is a requirement to apply for some student travel awards, which can help reduce the cost of attending the meeting.
- Join our AFS Annual Meeting 2021 Facebook group for up-to-date information, roommate matching and more! Finding a roommate to split a hotel room with can keep costs down and enable you to meet other fisheries students. Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/327117642308193
- Plan ahead. You should be prepared well in advance for your own talk or poster, but don’t forget to take time to review the program, read some abstracts that interest you, and get familiar with the list of attendees and meeting format. Spending some time up front to think about and make note of talks you want to hear and people you want to meet will allow you to spend more time networking and enjoying the meeting.
- Have your contact information readily available. If you have business cards, you can store them in your name tag holder so you will always have them with you.
- All evening socials will include a light dinner. The Student Networking Event will provide a full meal.
- Local grocery/convenience stores may provide more affordable food options than the hotel restaurant/café.
- Network! Attend the scheduled networking events and take the initiative to introduce yourself and meet new people. You never know where that next job is going to come from. Not to mention you also get some great food at these events too!
- Attend some presentations outside your area of interest/expertise. There are a lot of great presentations at AFS, take advantage of it, you never know what you could learn!
- Visit the trade show and speak with the vendors. A common misconception about the trade show is that the staff manning the booths are only interested in selling their products. This is not the case! These professionals can offer interesting perspectives on jobs in the field and are always happy to answer your questions.
- Download the meeting app! You can upload and share business cards, schedule meetings with other attendees, view the meeting program, see job board postings, and more!