Making Your Virtual Annual Meeting Recording
Thank you for presenting your work at the AFS Virtual Annual Meeting. Please note the instructions below when recording your oral presentation.
- Deadline for upload: September 1 at 2:00 pm EDT
- Recommended length: 15 minutes
- File formats accepted: .mp4, .mov, .fbr, .m4v
- Maximum resolution: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
Please see detailed technical instructions for more information.
Creating Your Slides
- Follow the usual recommendations about slide design, font size, minutes per slide, etc.
- We recommend that presentations should be approximately 15 minutes in length, as typical for AFS conferences.
- Because these presentations will be available for later viewing, please avoid the use of copyrighted material unless you have permission.
- Begin your talk with a self-introduction.
- Please include a photo or short video of yourself and a brief bio (<75 words).
- Also include your contact info and social media handles.
- End your talk by again showing your contact info and social media handles.
Recording Your Presentation
- All science presentations will need to be recorded and provided in one of the file formats listed above. While we expect most people will use PowerPoint to make their recording, you can use other screen recording software as you deem appropriate and as suited to your presentation needs.
- If you record in PowerPoint, our virtual conference technical provider has reported that they encounter infrequent but troubling quality problems with PowerPoint recordings.
- Recordings made directly with PowerPoint are acceptable if exported to the .mp4 file format, but please be sure to check your final recording carefully before submission, especially for dropped words or long pauses.
- As an alternative to recording in PowerPoint, there are several free recommended options to record your presentation:
- Detailed instructions, including video tutorials, about how to use each of these programs are available here.
- Because some viewers may have limited bandwidth, we suggest that you do not video record yourself with your webcam throughout the presentation, although a brief video introduction is fine.
Uploading your Presentation
- Upload your completed presentation in .mp4, .mov, .fbr, or .m4v format by September 1st at 2:00 pm EDT.
- Upload instructions, including an individualized upload link, have been emailed to all presenters.
During and After the Conference
- Your presentation will be available on a searchable website by September 14 and will be hosted there indefinitely after the conference.
- Your paper will be listed and linked on the appropriate symposium or contributed session page.
- Clicking on your paper from either the search page or the session page will open a web page for your individual presentation, which will include your name, contact information, abstract, and the embedded video.
- An asynchronous Q&A form will be displayed below the video.
- When a viewer submits a question, you will receive an email immediately.
- You may then respond using the form on the web page so your response is displayed publicly, or you may respond privately via email.
Also see the detailed technical instructions.
Zoom Recording Tutorials
Snagit Recording and Editing Tutorials
Flashback Express Recording and Editing Tutorials
Apple Recording Tutorials