Climate change poses a major threat to fisheries around the world, but many fisheries managers/researchers lack the skills for effectively communicating this complex issue. It is critical for fisheries managers to successfully promote audience buy-in toward sustainable actions. In this symposium, fisheries and aquatic professionals will demonstrate how they communicate the difficult topic of climate change to diverse audiences, ranging from politicians to anglers, using proven communication techniques and tools. Presentations will be followed by a workshop in where attendees will be trained on communication techniques. The workshop will be interactive where participants will have the opportunity to practice communication skills and receive input from peers.
- AFS Climate Change Committee
- AFS Science Communication Section
- AFS Climate Ambassadors Program
- Sam Day, Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, [email protected]
- Karen Murchie, Shedd Aquarium